Monday 3 May 2010

Tips on Stretching and Nutrition

Are you just starting to take spinning class. Need tips on stretching, nutrition, and more!?

I saw this article from a new rider with a great response from a Spinner of 3 years.

Question

I'm going to be starting a spin class, kinda lightly at this point. An hour every Wednesday and every other Sunday for about a month. Then I'll throw in Mondays.

But I had a half an hour class Tuesday and I'm STILL sore. I realized after the fact I really didn't stretch. But I don't know how or how many times to repeat a stretch. Are there some things you could suggest?

Also, I have no idea what I should be eating (or when) to keep my body fit. I want to make sure I'm at least getting the proper nutrition before and after the workout.

Also, what are things I can do in between classes to keep those muscles ready? The reason for my taking the class so infrequently to start is because of scheduling conflicts. So I can't take more classes than that for now. But I do have access to a gym almost every day. I will be taking some workout aerobic/cardio type classes but I don't know if it works the same muscles.

Also, what are some good bike shorts that will protect me from the saddle. Two days later and my butt still hurts. I'm a college student so I'm kinda on a budget. But I'm kinda ok with spending up to around $50 or so if it's a REALLY good pair of shorts that will last. But cheaper the better as long as they do the trick.

Answer

I've been spinning for over 3 years now, so i know what you talking about!

1. Your tush will be sore for at least a week, and although gel seat pads or cushions may help, it won't be worth spending money on. That goes for cycling shorts, too (the ones that have gel inserts), so just tough it up, after a week your body will get used to it. (Note Pedal Studio has a gel seat so just ask !)

2. The thigh / calf / shoulder or buttock pain will still be noticeable, so you must always stretch and warm up AND cool down.

3. Your warm up will be lead by the instructor on the bike as the class starts and the specific stretches for spinning should be done on the bike after class as follows ( the instructor should lead you through these),

Hamstrings

1. Place one foot on the bike between the handlebars and the seat and find a position where your balance on your supporting leg is stable.
2. Slightly bend your supporting leg.
3. Square your hips so both hip bones “face” forward.
4. As you exhale, bend forward from your hips and bring your straight torso toward your straight leg.
5. Relax and breathe as you stretch.

Switch legs after 30-60 seco

Quads

1. Hold onto the bike with one hand, using the bike for balance.
2. Grasp your ankle with your free hand and bring your heel as close to the buttocks as possible.
3. As you exhale, pull your abdominals in and tuck your hips underneath you
4. Hold the stretch and breathe.

Switch legs after 30-60 seconds.

Calves
1. Standing directly behind the bike, place the sole of one foot against the bottom of the frame, heel down.
2. Stand erect and lean slightly into the bike until you feel a stretch in your calf muscles.
3. Hold the stretch and breathe.

Switch legs after 30–60 seconds.

Glutes

1. Stand facing the bike about 2-3 feet away and place a hand on handlebar for stability.
2. Stand on one leg and rest the other foot above the knee of your standing leg.
3. Flex the knee of your standing leg and allow your hips to sink back.
4. Feel the stretch in the glutes area of the crossed leg.

Hold the stretch and breathe for 30-60 seconds.

Do these after class. Also, a spinning class takes 45 minutes, when you finish, pedal slowly for 5 minutes and cool down. The instructor will normally lead this as they slow you down and you stretch your upper body on the bike whilst still peddling.

Do not eat anything before the spin class. Most people get nauseous even after a banana or apple. Do not eat for at least an hour after class, to help your body utilize your reserve carbs before eating again.

You do not need a complex diet, have 5 small meals a day (divide your normal food for a day among 5 smaller meals) and try to keep a balance between carbs, fats and proteins ( 40-45% carbohydrates or carbs, 25-30% protein and 30-35% fat each day).

Aerobics, swimming, elliptical machine or jogging are compatible with spinning. If you are doing weight training, too, do it on days you are not spinning to prevent muscle exhaustion.

Take it slow, be patient, and you'll be amazed by the change in your health and body. Welcome to the spinning world!

Kindly answered by a Spinner for over 3 years.

No comments: