The final day of the taxing 2010 Absa Cape Epic presented by adidas saw riders cover 65km and 1 640m of climbing, cycling from Oak Valley to their final destination at the Lourensford Wine Estate. As is tradition, the last stage was the shortest, but not easy. As riders approached vineyards, they knew it was all about short, sharp climbs before some longer and even steeper ones through Nuweberg, up to the superb vistas of Elgin/Grabouw.
In 2010 the Absa Cape Epic took a new route into the Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve, on Buysepad, skirting Gantouw Pass. There was no portage this year, but route designer Dr Evil had something else in mind before riders headed down for a traditional finish to the 2010 Absa Cape Epic. Hundreds of enthusiastic spectators welcomed the exhausted teams at the final finish line of this year’s event.
Of the 1172 riders who started their epic journey at Diemersfontein a week ago, 83.6% have successfully completed their Absa Cape Epic adventure by crossing the final finish line at the Lourensford Wine Estate. In the remaining 16.4% figure that is not classified as official finishers, the blue board riders are included. 445 teams were ranked on the GC (General Classification), with both team riders awarded the medal as official Absa Cape Epic finishers. 90 individual cyclists successfully completed the 8 stages without their partners.
Andrew Clayton achieved the following results:
Stage Time : 5:08.32,6
Stage Position : 248. in Men category and 372. in general classification
Overall Time : 58:37.36,7
Overall Position : 278. in Men category and in 421. general classification
Zwift - using Discord for voice and text chat
8 months ago