Friday 2 October 2009

Training Log - Peru Ride by Andrew Clayton

Oct 1st - 6:30 am - Carmen

Walking to the studio this morning I knew winter had snuck up on us, even with all the sun of late - there was a bite in the air and Wandsworth Park was dark and empty of the outdoor gymers. It is the 1st of October and I have been inactive since I completed my iron man on Sunday 2 Aug - we are talking 2 months of NOTHING !!! The odd Munich Beer fest featured, a huge Pedal Studio Boat party definitely featured, sure a quick down hill sprint in Fort William ( but that was gravity assisted in a big way !) did hit the highs for thrills in September BUT I have managed to stack on 7 kgs in 2 months !!

I was late for the the start of the class and Carms gave me the eye ball but also said it was nice to see me again ~ it has been some time ! Straight into a hill climb ! OMG - I sucked for air. I know you are all missing the HR system but for once I was glad I was not plugged in. It would have been RED zoned for me and green for everyone else. I still check my rate as I ride, it is a habit to keep my body in check and I was off the scales. I kept my head down and continued to climb.

I was surprised to see only 3 other riders - the morning session creates such an energy and really kicks the day off - come on folks, it is time to get more stuck in.

My goal - A massive massive hill climb in Peru in less than 6 weeks ! I will be back in class a lot more so I hope to see you all there.

The class was great, Carmen has really developed as an instructor over these past few months and the controlled intensity of the class that she delivers leaves you challenged and rewarded. She challenged us to compete against her. That always makes it fun but the there is no getting away from the honest grind of pushing resistance and the legs did burn even if the tunes helped keep the mind drifting off. I eased off for a few of the climbs and certainly the sprints I was not in the front. I had planned to sit at the back of the class and take it easy but I guess the competitive nature is a spirit that cannot be killed. It makes me realise I need to get the HR system fixed ASAP so that it can act as a control and keep things focused to goals.

Right now I have got 8 kgs to loose otherwise the climb over the Andes in Peru is going to be tough as and added to the weight will be all our equipment and food !

Short term objective 1 is ticked and that was get out of bed at 6:15 and go to spinning for the 1st day of the month, can you believe October is here.


Pedal Hard,
Andrew

Weight - 96kgs
Endurance level - low
Strength level - low to medium
Heart Rate - in upper thresholds around 188bpm and moving up.

No comments: